#whatisschool January 19, 2017 6pm EST
What Is The Future Of Education?
- When Craig Kemp and I started #whatisschool in 2014, (two years ago, can you believe it!) we were looking for answers to our most pressing questions. As teachers, parents and student advocates we found ourselves in a vast and shifting landscape fueled by a technology revolution that had turned the way we communicate on its head and changed the way we purchased goods, listened to music, watched TV and read books. The traditional gatekeepers of corporate behemoths were swept away by new technology and education, a trillion dollar industry in the USA and estimated at over 4 trillion dollars globally, was in its sites. We were wondering how this would effect education, not from a corporate "dollars and sense" stand point or from a gadget happy "got to have this" perspective. We were both keenly interested in how this would effect the students and very aware of the rapid pace in which change was taking place. The only solution we could see was to harness the change, making it happen from the inside progressed by teachers for the betterment of educating a student body in a world that was smaller and more diverse than ever before, that offered more opportunity for student voice to be heard at a time when big solutions were badly needed for serious global problems.
- We turned to you, the teachers, students, parents, educators and advocates of the world and the response of ideas-simple, elegant brilliant ideas was overwhelming. From retooling classroom space, to integrating technological components to enhance lessons to global communication with authentic audiences we saw invention and wizardry bring sometimes miraculous results in all sectors-science, medicine, robotic, art and communication-we were all learning, reshaping the future of education in a new image.
- So now, two years later, I'd like to pose this question to you,
- What have you done, and where are you going?
- Join Craig Kemp @mrkempnz and me, Laura Hill @candylandcaper tonight as #whatisschool sharpens its pencil and takes a look back at the way technology has changed us and a look forward to where education is heading in the future.
- #whatisschool Questions January
- 1) How does the past shape your future in education?
- 2) What innovations have brought positive change to your classroom?
- 3) What changes do you see as most needed in Education now, compared to when you started?
- 4) We often hear “that’s the way we've always done it,” how do we shift mindsets and create collaborative partnerships in our communities?
- 5) Describe your class in the year 2025, how is it different? What's stayed the same?
- 6) What will you do now to shape the future of education?
Take a look back at the first post I wrote for #whatisschool!
June 12, 2014 What Is School?