Thank you for bringing your amazing energy and ideas to #whatisschool tonight! This week's topic is especially dear to my heart as I see so many students who get discouraged or feel left behind because their talents and interests don't match the measurements or offerings available. It's a hard road. To give up class time to help students drill down into their talents, to encourage them and foster an attitude of exploration and excellence can change a child's life. You are amazing! Scroll bellow for tonight's archive.
#WhatIsSchool October 23, 2014 7PM EDT
Everyone knows the formula to scholastic success; work hard, create a resume of clubs, sports, activities and charities you’ve led, maintain a 4.0 average, right? Perhaps not. In an interview conducted by The Atlantic this past June, Drew Gilpin Faust, President of Harvard University, had this to say:
“We could fill our class twice over with valedictorians… make your children interesting!”
|Drew Gilpin Faust, President Harvard University|
Questions for this week's chat #WhatIsSchool
Thursday, October 23, 2014 7PM EDT
1) Is it more important for students to excel at their passions or excel on tests?
2) What learning styles can you employ to help students develop personal talents while maintaining high grades?
3) How can you implement programs using real world experience to foster multidimensional student experience?
4) What technological tools or experiences can you provide to help students nurture their voice and influence in the real world?
5) How can you increase stakeholder buy-in to implement real world programs that improve your community?
6) What can you do to help make your students interesting to increase their opportunities after graduation?
#whatisschool is an international twitter forum co-founded by author, speaker Laura Hill and tech teacher Craig Kemp that attracts thousands of educators who come together to re-imagine school in order to give students the skills they need to be leaders, inventors and creators in a global digital/communication economy. Join us every Thursday night at 7PM EST, questions and archives of each week's chat are posted below. To bring #whatisschool to your school email Laura Hill or contact me on twitter @candylandcaper. I hope you join us! -Laura